Interest Check - M:tG Planeswalkers in PF1E

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 9, 2024 1:00 pm
I recently had the idea of running a 1E Pathfinder adventure in the Magic: The Gathering multiverse, with PCs as potential planeswalkers gradually manifesting their spark.

The concept would be that players build characters as normal, but in addition to their class, they'd also choose a Spark Path which gives them additional abilities, bonuses, or spells every level. Spark Paths would be based off of the colors of Magic, and include something like 22 different paths to choose from (Mono colors, allied duals, enemy duals, shards, prismatic, and colorless). If you've played Owlcat's Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous video game adaptation, their Mythic Paths are similar in concept. Given this, I'd expect the power range of the players to be pretty high (especially at higher levels, if we got that far!), but I'd design an adventure of suitable adversity to match.

Does this sound interesting to anyone? I'm still in the process of designing the Spark Paths, but I'd be happy to dedicate more time to it if enough folks want to give it a go.
May 9, 2024 2:46 pm
This is an awesome idea. I'm not a Pathfinder guy, so it isn't something I'd jump in on, but the concept sounds fantastic.
May 9, 2024 3:41 pm
Okay you have my interesy. Though whether I could h
Join would depend on my game load when you're ready as I am fairly full right now, though I would like to if able.
May 9, 2024 4:00 pm
*excited Bant sounds* I never played Pathfinder and I don't have its books, so I'll probably pass on this, but I'm just happy to see an MTG game around! :D
(Although if lack of the book is not a problem and you're willing to deal with a newcomer to the system, I'd love to try it!)
May 9, 2024 4:08 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
*excited Bant sounds* I never played Pathfinder and I don't have its books, so I'll probably pass on this, but I'm just happy to see an MTG game around! :D
(Although if lack of the book is not a problem and you're willing to deal with a newcomer to the system, I'd love to try it!)
All player facing resources for pathfinder are free legally online, and I am always happy to help out new players.
Last edited May 9, 2024 4:13 pm
May 9, 2024 4:35 pm
I'd be interested in exploring the Planes and the Blind Eternities between as a setting, but I can't help but feel that Pathfinder isn't a super tight fit. I feel like you want a looser, less vancian magical system to work from.
May 9, 2024 4:47 pm
I ran this with 5e, I would love to play this with Pathfinder!
May 9, 2024 8:42 pm
Definitely interested and would join, I've played Kingmaker but not Wrath of the Righteous, so I am familiar with Pathfinder 1E although I've never played a regular campaign with it. I've also played MTG on and off over the years, so I'm familiar with it and am a fan of it as well.
May 9, 2024 11:07 pm
A very cool idea, I'd be interested in playing it. I haven't played Magic in 10 years but I did play the Pathfinder RPG for a few years and the WotR game so I'm familiar with both.
May 9, 2024 11:25 pm
Hey! This game sounds like a ton of fun. I've played a fair bit of PF over the years. As for MTG, I played it when it first came out as a paper card game for several years and then, about 8 years ago I started playing MTG: Puzzle Quest. I'm currently the co-leader of one of the top 15 coalitions in the world and was ranked in the "top 100 best players of the year" last year. All that to say that I'm a huge MTG fan!! Would love to be considered for this game. (Note: I'm not familiar with WotR).
May 10, 2024 12:03 pm
Thanks for your feedback, everyone! GreyGriffin, I think you make a good point - PF might not be a good system for capturing the full power of an ascended planeswalker given it's mechanical rigidity. For playing characters that haven't yet ascended and are only gradually manifesting the powers of their Spark, I'm hoping PF will suffice as a framework!

I'll knuckle down on finishing the Spark Paths, and hopefully will be able to pitch this properly soon. Cheers!
May 13, 2024 7:12 pm
Sounds very cool!

I always hesitate to mention it, since it's a whole new system, but Spheres of Power might be a good fit here since:
- it emphasizes flexibility and thematic casting over the rigidity of vancian casting
- casters are overall more balanced at high levels than in core (no Time stop, no Shapechange, no Teleport even except if you allow the Advanced Talent that can grant it).

Check it out, but I'm guessing you'll want to focus on Spark Paths + what you know (core), so the timing may not be right.
May 13, 2024 7:32 pm
I'll second the spheres of power
May 19, 2024 9:39 pm
I will third spheres of power.

I want to play a legendary kineticist
May 20, 2024 2:23 pm
Tatterdemalion says:
Thanks for your feedback, everyone! GreyGriffin, I think you make a good point - PF might not be a good system for capturing the full power of an ascended planeswalker given it's mechanical rigidity. For playing characters that haven't yet ascended and are only gradually manifesting the powers of their Spark, I'm hoping PF will suffice as a framework!

I'll knuckle down on finishing the Spark Paths, and hopefully will be able to pitch this properly soon. Cheers!
Can't wait

You do not have permission to post in this thread.